BASIC EPG PROGRAMMING
An Electronic Program Guide (EPG) is an on-screen TV guide that helps viewers to navigate, search and choose from thousands of programs airing on hundreds of channels on Digital TV platforms like Digital Cable, DTH, IPTV and Mobile TV.
The EPG lists current and future scheduled programs on every channel along with a short summary for each program. Channels and programs within EPG menus are neatly categorized for an efficient search experience. Besides program search, a host of other features are dependent on the EPG, including – setting alerts and reminders, recording future programs and series, time based recordings, and auto-adjustment of reminder / recording schedules in case of change in program timings.
WHY DO YOU NEED AN EPG ?
Digital TV platforms carry hundreds of channels across many genres and formats (Standard Definition, High Definition, 3D). The viewer, therefore, has an enormous large number of programs to choose from. Unless these programs and channels are organized in a simple logical way it is impossible for any viewer to find a particular channel or program.
An EPG is essential for advanced Set Top Box capabilities like Record and Catch up to work. For platforms serving markets where English is not the primary language of communication, EPGs need to be provided in the local popular language.
WHAT’S ON EPGs
What’s On has three levels of EPG solutions to cater to different Digital TV platforms with increasing complexity. These are: Entry, Enhanced and Enriched EPGs
With our EPG solutions, Digital TV distribution platforms get several benefits:
- Save Permanent Costs like
- Software to convert program schedules into a file format that’s compatible with the Middleware format
- Employing schedule processing teams, technical teams, translation teams, proof checkers and QC specialists
- 24/7 processing of change requests from channels
- Save operational complexities to
- Integrate with hundreds of channels to receive their schedules in advance.
- Coordinate with channels daily to receive and process their schedules.
- Handle frequent and real time changes to the Channel schedules.
HOW MANY LANGUAGES CAN EPG DATA BE GIVEN IN ?
Currently the What’s On EPG solution is built on English as the core language. Additionally, 3 other Indian languages are also available – Hindi, Tamil and Telugu. Marathi and Bengali language solutions are also being integrated and will soon be live on EPGs. Internationally, What’s On is offering EPG solutions in Arabic and Bahasa in the Middle East and Indonesia respectively.